Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Observation #1

Site: Behind my house in a wooded area

Date: 5-7-08

Time of day: 6:00 pm

Temperature: 55 degrees

Weather Conditions: partly cloudy

Wind Conditions: Breezy

Soil Conditions: Very moist

Notes: The snow is coming close to be completely gone. Green grass is sprouting up in patches, but is not nearly as filled out as in the valley. I think this is due to the higher elevation that my observation area is at. Buds are beginning to appear on the branches of trees. There has been very little insect activity besides the occasional spider or fly. I spotted what I think is moose scat. The moose seems to come into the area to lick a salt block that my parents put out during the winter. There is little bird activity, but i doubt this will be the case further along in my study. Much of the ground is covered with dead leaves from last fall.

No comments: